|Pugin related web sites||Pugin bibliography||list of Pugin buildings||Churches of
EW & PP Pugin
|Gazetteer of EW Pugin||dddddddddd||dddddddddd||dddddddddd|
CHRONOLOGICAL GAZETTEER OF THE WORKS OF E.W. PUGIN – ARCHITECT
By GJ Hyland – 11 March 2010
This article is undergoing continual refinement, and is updated periodically.
A(IV): CEMETERY CHAPELS
A particularly spectacular example of a cemetery chapel by EW Pugin is that for the Knill Family at Brockley Cemetery, which was originally distinguished by a dramatic Rood ensemble in bronze at the apex of the W. gable:
a) REALISED DESIGNS (3)
1] 1857—58: St Helens' Cemetery, Windleshaw, St Helens, WA10 6DF, Lancs. — Chapel: the Catholic section of the cemetery was opened in 1858 adjacent to the ancient Catholic cemetery; chapel was demolished in 1969.
2] 1860(28 Nov)—1861(8 Sept): Ford Cemetery, Liverpool, L21 0DD, Merseyside — Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre: carving by M Geflowski of Liverpool. The chapel, which was used intermittently as a parish church, closed c.1986, and was demolished 1988 — see also 1859: Liverpool, Merseyside.
3] 1866(17 or 18 Dec)—68(8 May): Brockley RC Cemetery, London SE4 2PY — Chapel of St Michael & All Angels: a memorial to the two youngest children (deceased) of Sir Stuart Knill who are buried in the vault below. Stained glass by Hardman & Co, and carving by W Farmer & T Earp; the original dramatic W. gable Rood ensemble (with figures in bronze) was dismantled sometime prior to the destruction of the chapel by bombing in 1940. Sir Stuart Knill, First Baronet (1893), was Lord Mayor of London (1892—93), and son of John, the adoptive father of Jane Knill, AWN Pugin's third wife.
|LINKS & LISTS|