|Pugin related web sites||Pugin bibliography||list of Pugin buildings||Churches of
EW & PP Pugin
|Gazetteer of EW Pugin||dddddddddd||dddddddddd||dddddddddd|
CHRONOLOGICAL GAZETTEER OF THE WORKS OF E.W. PUGIN – ARCHITECT
By GJ Hyland – 11 March 2010
This article is undergoing continual refinement, and is updated periodically.
A(VI): DUAL-PURPOSE CHAPELS/SCHOOL-ROOMS
This category comprises buildings that served as chapels only at the weekend (and on Holydays), the naves doubling as school-rooms on weekdays. Such dual-purpose buildings were not uncommon during the second half of the 19th century, particularly in poorer areas, and often had to suffice until a permanent church could be afforded, after which they were often used for non-liturgical purposes, such as class-rooms or parish halls — and, in some cases, continue to be used as such — e.g. Maidstone, St Thomas, and Padiham, Burnley, St John the Baptist.
a) REALISED DESIGNS (6)
1] 1853(Feb)—1853(26 July): Belmont, HR2 9RZ, Herefords. — Ss Peter & Paul and presbytery: chapel opened; built through the munificence of FR Wegg-Prosser, MP, FRAS. The nave is in late in Perpendicular style, in contrast to the 14th century style of the chancel; it became the Library of Belmont Abbey in 1955.
2] 1862—63: Maidstone, ME14 1RH, Kent — St Francis: this dual-purpose building sufficed for services until the building of a permanent church, to the design of CG Wray, in 1880; it is now used as the parish hall.
3] 1863(29 May)—63(13 Dec): Mossley, OL5 0HB, Lancs. — St Joseph and presbytery: this dual-purpose building was eventually replaced by a permanent church (not by EW Pugin), and put to other uses. It was demolished c.1962 to make way for a new church that opened in 1965; the presbytery was demolished in 1963.
4] 1863(Oct)—64: Padiham, Burnley, BB12 7BN, Lancs. — St John the Baptist: this dual-purpose building was replaced by a church by Waddington & Son, 1880—81; it is now used as the parish hall.
5] 1866: Liverpool, Merseyside — Our Lady of Mount Carmel: project dates from 1864; this dual-purpose building sufficed until the opening of the present church by J O'Byrne on 21st July 1878.
6] 1874(post-Aug)—74(Nov): Camberley (formerly Sandhurst), GU15 3EY, Surrey — St Tarcisius: this small dual-purpose building continued to be used for worship until 1884 when, on part of the school site, an iron church was built, which remained there until 1888 when it was moved adjacent to a new presbytery built on a different site given by Lady Southwell for the construction of a permanent church, the building of which (to the design of FA Walters) did not commence until 1923; it opened the following year; the EW Pugin building is now demolished.
|LINKS & LISTS|