|Pugin related web sites||Pugin bibliography||list of Pugin buildings||Churches of
EW & PP Pugin
|Gazetteer of EW Pugin||dddddddddd||dddddddddd||dddddddddd|
CHRONOLOGICAL GAZETTEER OF THE WORKS OF E.W. PUGIN – ARCHITECT
By GJ Hyland – 11 March 2010
This article is undergoing continual refinement, and is updated periodically.
C: ADDITIONS TO EXISTING RC CHURCHES & CHAPELS
The largest additions to an existing church by another architect are those to AWN Pugin's St Marie's, Rugby and St Joseph's, Nechells; since, however, these are such extensive works into which the earlier buildings have been completely integrated, they are omitted here, having been entered instead in Section A(IIIa). These two cases apart, the largest extension is that to JA Hansom/WW Wardell's Mount St Mary's church for the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) in Leeds, where EW Pugin designed the transepts and apsidal chancel (including the High Altar):
Most notable amongst the smaller works in this category are the exquisite Knill Chantry (which fortunately escaped bomb damage during the Second World War) in AWN Pugin's St George's Cathedral, Southwark, which has much in common (in particular, in the use of light shafts that stand free of the wall but which are connected to it; externally, there are also similarities in the designs of the enclosing stone open-work screens — compare Fig.53 and Fig.54) with the Chapel of St Charles Borromeo at Ushaw College, Co Durham; the Chapel of St John the Evangelist (Digby Chantry) at St Augustine, Ramsgate; and the Scholefield Chantry at St Edmund's College, Ware:
The Scholefield Chantry is a (reduced) 2-bay version of the de Trafford Chantry at Barton-on-Irwell, as can be seen from the following photographs:
During the mid-1860s, extensive work was done at three churches in Ireland, at Listowel, Co. Kerry, Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ferrybank, Co. Waterford, that at St Patrick, Fermoy, whilst it was still the Cathedral of the Diocese of Cloyne, prior to the opening of Cobh Cathedral, comprising a remodelling of the W. front and the addition of a well-proportioned tower-cum-spire, similar in design to that projected around the same time but unrealised at Tralee:
a) REALISED DESIGNS (23)
1] 1854: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Chapel of St Joseph, Oratory of the Holy Family & Cloister at Ushaw College, Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham: all were realisations of AWN Pugin's designs of pre-1852, except the chapel altar & reredos (in the centre of which was a statue of St Joseph — now removed), which are by EW Pugin. To the left-hand side of the reredos is an imposing 20 ft high, canopied pedestal (in Caen stone & marble, & also by EW Pugin) that now contains a statue of St Joseph. The canopied pedestal was originally in the Sacred Heart anti-chapel of the S. transept of AWN Pugin's Chapel of St Cuthbert, when it contained a statue of the Sacred Heart sculpted by AB Wall of Cheltenham. The ensemble was moved to St Joseph's Chapel when the Pugin chapel was demolished in 1882, the statue being later replaced by one of St Joseph by Karl Hoffmann.
2] 1854—55: Derby, Derbys. — Extensions/alterations/decoration in AWN Pugin's St Mary's Church: in Decorated style, in contrast to the Perpendicular style of AWN Pugin's original church of 1838—39; includes an E. extension of the aisles with terminating chapels (one for use for daily Mass, the other a Pietà Chapel), sacristies, new High Altar in Caen stone, wrought-iron Rood Screen (with brass cresting), pulpit, font. Decoration and stained glass to the designs of JH Powell by Hardman & Co, and encaustic tiles by Minton. (The altar in JA Hansom's Lady Chapel of 1853 is by PP Pugin, 1895.)
3] 1856: Aston-by-Stone, Staffs. — Lady Chapel at the Church of Holy Michael, Archangel: an addition (with stained glass by Hardman & Co) to CF Hansom's church of 1847—49 — see also this; the chapel (located towards the rear of the present Aston Hall survived the demolition of the remainder of the church in 1882. A new church was built on a nearby site, 1882—83, an acutely pyramidially roofed NE. tower being added in 1899.
4] 1856—57: Southwark, London — Knill Chantry (dedicated to the Holy Family) in St George's Cathedral: stained glass and metal-work by Hardman & Co; encaustic tiles by Minton. The chantry survived WWII bombing. This may well have evolved from earlier designs for the unrealized chantry chapel at the church of Our Ladye Star of the Sea, Greenwich, which EW Pugin had designed for S Knill in 1855. EW Pugin also designed silver plate and a silver & ebony crucifix for the chantry chapel.
5] 1857—58: Ramsgate, Kent — Chapel of St John the Evangelist (Digby Chantry) at St Augustine's Church: off the N. cloister.
6] 1857—59: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Chapel of St. Charles Borromeo in Ushaw College: built through the munificence of Mgr Newsham & Mgr Gillow. It was originally erected at the end of the S. transept of AWN Pugin's chapel of 1848* but dismantled when nearly completed and rebuilt off the (Station) cloister that connects Ushaw College to St Aloysius' Schools (Junior House); carving by Lane & Lewis of Birmingham.
* Rebuilt and extended by Dunn & Hansom, 1882—85, using material from the original chapel of 1844—47 by AWN Pugin; Lady Chapel rebuilt by JF Bentley, 1894. AWN Pugin's High Altar & reredos (together with his Credence Table) is now in the S. transept, having been replaced with ones by PP Pugin, 1890—91; two W. chapels of 1925—28, by Sebastian Pugin Powell.
7] 1858—59: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Mortuary Chapel of St. Michael and the Holy Souls in Ushaw College: built through the munificence of M Gibson of Leamington Spa, in memory of his son who is buried in a vault below the floor of this partly subterranean chapel; the design dates from 1856, and the chapel is located on the N. side of the (Gabel) cloister near the door of the Ante-Chapel. Very Rev Michael Gibson, DD (d. 1856) was Vice-President of Ushaw under the Rt Rev Mgr Dr Newsham (President 1837—63/ d.1863), who also is buried in a vault beneath the same chapel.
8] 1859: Ramsgate, Kent — W. cloister at St Augustine's Church.
9] 1859—1860(24 Feb): Kingsland, London — Extensive re-modelling of WW Wardell's 1856 church of Our Lady and St Joseph (originally Institute of Charity, Rosminians): included a steep roof (to replace Wardell's flat one) and stone mullions with tracery in the window spaces; a new High Altar (in memory of the church's benefactress, Martha Lockhart) by Mayer & Co of Munich was installed 1872, and inaugurated on 20 Oct. Church demolished during the early 1960s, and a new church (by WC Mangan) was opened in 1964.
10] 1860: Ramsgate, Kent — Completion of the N. cloister at St. Augustine's Church: altar of the Sacred Heart, by PP Pugin, 1883.
11] 1860: Chelsea, London — Blessed Sacrament Chapel at St Mary's Church: carving by W Farmer, windows by JH Powell, and metal-work by Hardman & Co. This 3 bay chapel was rebuilt off the S. aisle of JF Bentley's new church, opened in 1879 on a nearby site close to a cemetery chapel of 1845 by AWN Pugin, which is now also incorporated into the new church, SE. of the chancel.
12] 1860s: Hulme, Greater Manchester — S. aisle and sacristy extensions at AWN Pugin's St Wilfrid's Church.
13] 1861: Ware, Herts. — Lady Chapel at AWN Pugin's St Edmund's College Chapel: built as the base of a future tower at the location of AWN Pugin's projected spired tower; altar dedicated to the Holy Family.
15] 1861—63: Oscott, W. Midlands — Weedall Chantry in St Mary's College: design dates from 1860; additional later work by PP Pugin and S Pugin Powell, 1911. The chantry occupies the site of an unrealised chapel by AWN Pugin in memory of Bishop Milner.
16] 1863—64(21 June): Rugby, CV22 5EL, Warks. — St Marie. This is such an extensive addition that it is entered in Section A.
17] 1864—66(13 Sep): Leeds, Yorks. — Chancel and transepts added to JA Hansom/WW Wardell's (1853—1857) Mount St Mary (OMI) church: work made possible partly through the munificence of Samuel Jackson of Leeds. High Altar & St Patrick's altar carved by W Farmer, the Lady Altar by RL Boulton, and St Joseph's altar by Messrs Earley & Powell of Dublin, who were responsible also for other items of interior decoration; stained glass (to the designs of JH Powell) by Hardman & Co. Church closed in 1989.
18] 1865—66: with GC Ashlin: Listowel, Co Kerry, Ireland — Extensive W. front alterations to St Mary's Church: includes tower and spire.
19] 1865—67: with GC Ashlin: Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ireland — External rebuild of St Patrick's Church (early 1800s, extended 1843): includes buttressing of the W. front (to break up its wide façade in an attempt to accentuate the vertical element), and the addition of a tower & spire to the W. wall of the N. transept. The church served as pro-cathedral of the Diocese of Cloyne prior to the opening of Cobh Cathedral.
20] 1866—67: with GC Ashlin: Ferrybank, Waterford, Co Waterford, Ireland — Tower & spire at the projected church of The Sacred Heart: built through the munificence of HPT Barron (later 2nd Baronet) of Belmont Park. The tower* with its surmounting spire was first added to the W. end of the old parish church, which it was intended to demolish once funds became available to permit the building of the new church. This did not happen until 1903 when a church to the design of Ashlin & Coleman was commenced (Foundation Stone laid 13 April 1904), and completed in 1906.
* The walls of the tower were carried well below ground level to create a vault for the Barron family.
21] 1871(Jul)—72(21 Apr): Nechells, W. Midlands — St Joseph: see Section A, since this is such an extensive addition.
i] c.1865: Sicklinghall, Wetherby, N. Yorks. — N. porch & N. transept additions to CF Hansom's church of St Mary Immaculate (OMI — Oblates of Mary Immaculate).
ii] 1868: Dinedor, Herefords. — Spire added to the 18th Century tower of the mediæval Rotherwas Chapel (Bodenham Estate): most likely includes the S. porch, confessional, sacristy and the spire (Fig.95) surmounting the pyramidially roofed (18th century?) tower. The octagonally apsed E. end (including its wooden altar & reredos), and also (most probably) the SE. chapel of St Winifride are by PP Pugin, 1884, and were commissioned by Countess Irena Maria in memory of her late husband, Charles de la Barre Bodenham. The chapel has been disused since the 1940s, and is now a Listed Building.
iii] 1868: Dinedor, Herefords. — Vestry at St Andrew's Church (CE).
b) UNREALISED DESIGNS (6)
1] 1854: Southwark, London — Talbot Chantry in St. George's Cathedral: intended as a chantry chapel for George Talbot, Esq (father of Lady Edward Howard). Begun, but not completed, and was replaced by a Relics Chapel in 1905.
3] Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Gibson Chantry in Ushaw College: a forerunner of this, but on a different site.
4] 1856: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Extension to St Cuthbert's chapel at Ushaw College: a proposed 3-bay extension to AWN Pugin's chapel of 1847—48. Eventually the latter was demolished and replaced 1882—84 with one (on the same site) to the design of Dunn & Hansom, in which stonework and stained glass from the original chapel was re-utilised. High Altar & reredos by PP Pugin, 1890—91.
5] 1856: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Chapel of the Five Wounds at Ushaw College.
6] nd: Southwark, London — St Joseph's Chapel in AWN Pugin's St. George's Cathedral: intended as a chantry chapel for Samuel Weld (d. 1851), the first husband of Jane Charlotte, Baroness Weld; EW Pugin's design was abandoned in favour of one by J Seed, which was realised in 1890.
c) COMMISSIONS/WORKS NOTIFIED IN CONTEMPORARY ARCHITECTURAL JOURNALS AND ELSEWHERE, WHICH WERE EITHER ERRONEOUSLY ATTRIBUTED, OR FOR WHICH NO EVIDENCE OF EXECUTION HAS YET BEEN FOUND (1)
1] 1858: Edinburgh, EH 1 1TQ, Scotland — Additions to St Patrick's church: originally Episcopalian; opened as a Catholic church in 1856. New sanctuary added 1898.
|LINKS & LISTS|