|Pugin related web sites||Pugin bibliography||list of Pugin buildings||Churches of
EW & PP Pugin
|Gazetteer of EW Pugin||dddddddddd||dddddddddd||dddddddddd|
CHRONOLOGICAL GAZETTEER OF THE WORKS OF E.W. PUGIN – ARCHITECT
By GJ Hyland – 11 March 2010
This article is undergoing continual refinement, and is updated periodically.
E: INSTITUTIONAL BUILDINGS (ALMSHOUSES, ORPHANAGES ETC)
One of EW Pugin's earliest buildings in this category was an infirmary at Ushaw College to serve Ushaw College and its Junior Seminary (St Aloysius' Schools), Co Durham:
Typical of the almshouse genre was St Scholastica's Retreat at Clapton for 'poor and reduced Catholics belonging to the ranks of the gentry' (The Catholic Directory, 1863):
Outstanding examples of orphanages by EW Pugin are those founded by the Dowager Duchess of Leeds (see Appendix IV) in E. Sussex, at Mayfield (for boys), and at Rotherfield, near Mark Cross (for girls), which, although built almost simultaneously, are in rather different styles:
a) REALISED DESIGNS (9)
1] 1856—58: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Infirmary at Ushaw College: the infirmary (containing a chapel) originally served both Ushaw College and St Aloysius' Schools (Junior House).
3] 1861—62: Everton, Liverpool, Merseyside — St Louis of Gonzaga Boys' Orphanage: in Beacon Lane, near Everton Our Lady Immaculate. In 1863, the lay staff were replaced by the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul, when it became St Vincent's Orphanage. Extended 1868, and in 1869 became a Certified Industrial School (for 230 boys), which survived until 1940.
4] 1861—62/64—67/74: Clapton, London — St Scholastica's Retreat: endowed by the estate of Robert & Charlotte Scholastica Harrison; built in 2 stages, the second not being completed until 1874. It comprised a range of almshouses incorporating 38 flats with warden accommodation and a Common Hall, which was used as a chapel for the neighbourhood until the building of St Scholastica's Church in 1882, when the Hall reverted to the use for which it was originally intended, reopening on 11 Aug 1882; demolished 1972.
5] 1863—65: with GC Ashlin: Dublin, Ireland — St Vincent's Orphanage for Girls (Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul): in North William St, in Venetian Gothic style. The building survives, but is no longer an orphanage
6] 1865—68: Nr. Mayfield, E. Sussex — Holy Trinity Orphanage for Boys: built through the munificence of the Dowager Duchess of Leeds. The location was originally known as de Hellingly (comprising Colkins & Pennybridge Farms). The institution was served by the Xaverian Brothers, and was renamed The Xaverian College in 1874, when some fee-paying boarders were admitted, becoming Mayfield College in 1926. The college closed in 1998, and (together with the chapel — see Mayfield, Holy Trinity Orphanage Chapel) has now been converted into apartments.
7] 1865—69: Rotherfield, Nr. Mark Cross, E. Sussex — St Michael's Orphanage for Girls: built through the munificence of the Dowager Duchess of Leeds; the location was originally known as Bletchingley Farm. The institution was originally served by nuns of the Order of the Holy Child Jesus. It later became St Joseph's Junior Seminary (1925—1970) attached to Wonersh, after which it was a Ballet school and then a Muslim school. The chapel (with altar by Pugin & Pugin, 1885) & cloister connecting with the orphanage (1874—75) are not by EW Pugin, but are by Goldie & Child. New wing (by JS Hansom) added 1903.
8] 1867—68: with GC Ashlin: Kinsale, Co. Cork, Ireland — Orphanage (Sisters of Mercy): attached to a pre-existing convent of 1844; became Our Lady of Mercy Industrial School in 1869. Closed in 1963, and is now demolished.
9] 1869: Hanwell, W. London — St Joseph's Convalescent Home: founded by Baroness Weld (see Appendix IV). Comprises dormitories, refectories, sitting rooms & chapel; altered & extended 1871, closed 1919. The Sisters of St Joseph of Peace bought the property in 1921, and used it as a convent (dedicated to St Mary) until 1971; it was demolished in 1973 on account of structural problems and replaced with a new convent building on the same site.
|LINKS & LISTS|