|Pugin related web sites||Pugin bibliography||list of Pugin buildings||Churches of
EW & PP Pugin
|Gazetteer of EW Pugin||dddddddddd||dddddddddd||dddddddddd|
CHRONOLOGICAL GAZETTEER OF THE WORKS OF E.W. PUGIN – ARCHITECT
By GJ Hyland – 11 March 2010
This article is undergoing continual refinement, and is updated periodically.
F: SCHOOLS & COLLEGES
Parochial schools designed by EW Pugin often pre-date the building of the churches with which they became associated, as was the case at Birkenhead, Our Lady's Schools and Rock Ferry, St Anne's Schools, for example. The most significant college buildings are those comprising St Aloysius' Schools, known locally as 'Junior House', the junior seminary of Ushaw College:
a) REALISED DESIGNS (34)
1] 1853(29 Mar)—53 (31 Aug): Liverpool, Merseyside — Institute & Oratory of St Philip Neri: the building was re-opened on 25 Aug 1867 after redecoration, following the opening of a new chapel (by ME Hadfield) of the adjacent Notre Dame Convent & Teacher Training College, into which the Institute was then absorbed.
2] 1854: Crook, Co. Durham — School & Master's House: buildings opened; attached to Our Lady Immaculate & St Cuthbert's church.
3] 1854: Marlow, Bucks. — St Peter's School: built through the munificence of CR Scott-Murray, and is the realisation of AWN Pugin's design for a school adjoining the convent. The building now lacks its spirelet; since the 1970s, the school premises have been used as the parish rooms.
4] 1856: Wellington, Shrops. — St Patrick's School: now replaced by a modern building.
5] 1856(16 Jun)—57/72: Birkenhead, Merseyside — Our Lady's Schools: attached to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church; destroyed (together with the presbytery) by bombing during the same air-raid in 1941 that damaged the church.
7] 1857—59: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — St Aloysius' Schools (Junior House): built as the Junior Seminary to Ushaw College to which it is connected by a cloister. EW Pugin won the commission in an invited competition with JA & CF Hansom; the buildings are now abandoned.
8] 1858—59: Handsworth, W. Midlands — St Joseph's Middle Class School (Sisters of Mercy): built through the munificence of John Hardman, & is attached to St Mary's Convent; this is evidently the 3-storey addition to the south, mentioned by R O'Donnell, The Pugins & the Catholic Midlands, Gracewing, 2002, p.72.
9] 1859—60: Birchley, Billinge, near Wigan, Greater Manchester — St Mary's School: built through the munificence of Sir Robert Gerard who also gave the land; includes master's & mistress' houses.
10] 1859—60: Ravenhurst, Birmingham, W. Midlands — Middle Class Boarding School (Sisters of Mercy): attached to St Anne's Convent; cloisters & additional rooms begun 1863, and completed 1864. Whole complex destroyed by bombing in WWII.
11] 1860—61: Birmingham, W. Midlands — St John's Catholic School: in London Prentice (later Dalton) St.
12] 1861—63: Edinburgh, Scotland — St Margaret's Ursuline Convent Boarding School: comprises dormitories, services, refectory, classrooms & an internal 'cloister' corridor, and is all that was realised of a much larger projected scheme. The school and associated convent closed 1986, after which it became (under the name Gillis College) the Senior Seminary of the Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh; the seminary was relocated in 1993, when the complex became a diocesan conference centre (Gillis Centre).
13] post 1862: Rusholme, Greater Manchester — St Edward's School: attached to St Edward's Church.
14] 1863: Margate, Kent — Ss. Austin & Gregory's Elementary School: opened 28 July; now demolished — see also Margate, Ss Austin and Gregory's Church, alterations.
15] 1863—4: Croydon, Surrey — Our Lady's School: attached to Our Lady of Reparation Church.
16] 1864: Turnham Green, Chiswick, London — Catholic Schools: connected with St Mary's Church (by Willson & Nicholl), now demolished. The Foundation Stone was laid on 3 May by Countess Tasker (see Appendix IV), Foundress of the school.
17] 1866: Liverpool, Merseyside — St Alban's Schools: attached to (the now abandoned) St Alban's church.
18] 1867: Stourbridge, W. Midlands — Convent Schools: attached to Convent of Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
20] 1867(with GC Ashlin)—69: Dublin, Ireland — St Paul's Christian Brothers' School: in Brunswick St; original building replaced in 1960.
21] 1868: Nechells, Birmingham, W. Midlands — St Joseph's Schools: attached to St Joseph's Convent. The school was extended 1870/96, and divided into Infants, Boys & Girls in 1877; the nuns left in 1959, and the building was demolished in 1998 on account of road widening.
22] 1868—69: Wolverhampton, W. Midlands — Ss Peter & Paul's School: in North St, Wadham's Hill.
23] 1868—69: Liverpool, Merseyside — Chaloner School: in Norfolk St, connected with Liverpool, St Vincent de Paul; a replacement (paid for by the Corporation) of an earlier school of 1859 in Jordan St, which was built through the munificence of Edward Chaloner, and which became a victim of urban development; enlarged 1893, and was derelict by 1975.
24] 1869: Sheerness, Kent — Ss Henry & Elizabeth's School: attached to Sheerness, Ss Henry and Elizabeth Church now used as the Parish Hall.
25] 1869: Birmingham, W. Midlands — Horse Fair RC Schools: most likely a new infant school, associated with a projected church, St Catherine's.
26] 1870: Hoxton, London — St Monica's School: adjacent to the N. side of St Monica, Hoxton ; demolished c.1907. New building opened 10 Jun 1908; it is the latter (non-EW Pugin) building that is the subject of the article by R Maxwell in TP Vol. iii(ii), 64—66, 2005.
28] 1871—1873: Cleator, Cumbria — St Patrick's School: attached to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church; demolished 1943.
29] 1872: Dover, Kent — St Paul's Boys School: attached to St Paul's Church.
31] 1872: Huyton, Merseyside — St Agnes' School: attached to St Agnes' Church.
32] 1874: Stretford, Greater Manchester — St Ann's School: attached to St Anne's Church; built on land given by Sir Humphrey de Trafford, Bt.
34] 1874—75: Oakamoor, Staffs. — Boarding accommodation at Cotton Hall: EW Pugin claimed his designs dating from of 1866/69, had been pirated by the builder of this wing, following the complete removal there of Sedgley Park School from Wolverhampton in 1873 — see this. The builder in question was George Heveningham, who built EW Pugin's churches at Wolverhampton, Longton, and Nechells.
i] 1859—1860: Liverpool, Merseyside — Our Lady's Schools: attached to Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette Church.
ii] 1864—65: Skelmersdale, Lancs. — St Richard's School: attached to St Richard's Church.
iii] 1868: Stafford, Staffs. — St Patrick's School: it is certainly not connected with St Austin's.
iv] 1875: Frizington, Cumbria: probably St Joseph's School.
v] nd: Liverpool, Merseyside — Mount St Vernon School: attached to Convent of St Ethelburga.
vi] nd: Bradford (W. Yorks.): possibly either St Patrick's or St Joseph's.
vii] nd: Greengate (Salford): connected with Greengate, St Peter's Church.
viii] nd: Egremont (Cumbria): possibly St Mary's.
ix] nd: Newton (probably Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside): possibly St Mary's — if so, the date is 1871.
x] nd: Nottingham (Notts.) — Training Schools: possibly also St Barnabas' or Our Lady's.
xi] nd: Salisbury (Wilts.): attached to AWN Pugin's St Osmund's; now used a parish hall.
b) UNREALISED DESIGNS (4)
2] 1859—60: Tower Hamlets, London — St Boniface's school.
3] 1866—68: Scarisbrick, Lancs. — Poor Schools for boys & girls, together with 2 houses for teachers: for Lady Scarisbrick.
4] c.1870: Hanley, Staffs. — School: to replace an existing school/chapel — see Hanley Presbytery.
c) COMMISSIONS/WORKS NOTIFIED IN CONTEMPORARY ARCHITECTURAL JOURNALS AND ELSEWHERE, WHICH WERE EITHER ERRONEOUSLY ATTRIBUTED, OR FOR WHICH NO EVIDENCE OF EXECUTION HAS YET BEEN FOUND (3)
1] nd: Sedgley Park — this refers to Cotton Hall near Oakamoor, Staffs: from 1868—73, Cotton Hall was the preparatory school for Sedgley Park School, Wolverhampton. The entire school was moved to Cotton Hall in 1873, after which it first became known 'New Sedgley Park School', then as 'St Wilfrid's, Cotton Hall', becoming 'Cotton School' c.1929, and finally 'Cotton College' in 1933.
2] nd: Tranmere (Merseyside) — could possibly be another reference to Rock Ferry, St Anne's Schools.
3] nd: Wooton — location unknown.
|LINKS & LISTS|