|Pugin related web sites||Pugin bibliography||list of Pugin buildings||Churches of
EW & PP Pugin
|Gazetteer of EW Pugin||dddddddddd||dddddddddd||dddddddddd|
CHRONOLOGICAL GAZETTEER OF THE WORKS OF E.W. PUGIN – ARCHITECT
By GJ Hyland – 11 March 2010
This article is undergoing continual refinement, and is updated periodically.
The most important commission in this category was at Garendon Hall, near Shepshed, Leics [J(IIa)-12] for Ambrose Lisle March Phillipps de Lisle, which included the addition of an extra storey within a mansard roof (Fig.74a), the creation of a 100ft picture gallery 2 storeys high within the original building, a remodelling of the Front Hall (Fig.74b), and a completely new range to the rear of the original building to accommodate a dining room with a domestic chapel above:
Perhaps the quaintest of EW Pugin's miscellaneous secular works is a laboratory in Gothic style at Ushaw College (Fig.74c)], whilst the most antique in appearance is a 'Mediaeval' monument in memory of Lieut. Everard Aloysius Lisle March Phillipps, VC (Fig.74d)], which was built by public subscription in Charnwood Forest, Leics:
Foremost amongst EW Pugin's unrealised secular commissions are his projected Gothic rebuild (Fig.75a)] of the S. front of Garendon Hall (Fig.74a), near Shepshed, Leics, and his grandiose scheme (Fig.75b)] at Carlton Towers, Selby, N. Yorks., comprising a massive Keep, Baronial Hall, & Chapel:
a) REALISED DESIGNS (20)
1] 1852—56: Alton, Staffs. — Minor works at the Hospital of St John the Baptist: completion of AWN Pugin's buildings.
2] 1853—69: Alton, Staffs — Ongoing additions/alterations at The Towers: includes the Great Dining Room, the New Rooms (together with their fittings), the Staircase, and fittings in the Chapel.
3] 1854: Chirk, Clwyd, N. Wales — Additions/alterations at Chirk Castle (for Col. R Myddelton-Biddulph): includes new housing for the bell at the top of the clock-tower on the W. wall of the court, two conically-roofed turrets connected by a crenellated wall to the S. side of the castle, and re-facing of the stables.
4] 1854—56: Durham, Co Durham, DH7 9RH — Laundry, laboratories and offices at Ushaw College: in the NE corner of the site; the laboratory is now used as a toilet block.
5] 1855—56: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Decorates and furnishes the Professors' Parlour in Ushaw College: includes X-frame chairs.
6] 1856: Durham, Co Durham, DH7 9RH — Lodge House at Ushaw College: later used as a Post/Telegraph Office.
7] 1856—58: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Museum, Procurator's office & apartments, and stair-cased entrance at Ushaw College: the museum 174ft long (with dormitories above), together with a small cloister, connect Ushaw College to St Aloysius' Schools (Junior House); the adjoining Procurator's rooms are housed in an elegant 3 storey building. The stair-cased entrance (in the centre of the W. side of the Quadrangle) replaces the original (on the other side of the W. range), which was lost when the museum was built.
8] 1857: Albury, Surrey — Work at Albury Park (for H Drummond): completion (according to the original designs) of AWN Pugin's work.
9] 1858—59: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Kitchens at Ushaw College: remodelling of the original installations of 1837.
10] 1860—61: Ramsgate, Kent — First stage of additions & alterations at The Grange.
11] 1862—63: Ratcliffe-on-the-Wreake, Leics. — Study range at Ratcliffe College (Institute of Charity, Rosminians): a continuation and completion of earlier work by AWN Pugin.
12] 1863—64: Charnwood Forest, Leics. — Monument in memory of Lieut. Everard Aloysius Lisle March Phillipps VC: in Cademan Wood, near to Temple Hill, paid for by public subscription. It consisted of a tower about 80ft high (redolent of the Water Bastion in Delhi), accessed by an internal spiral staircase, and constructed to look mediæval; the tower was originally surmounted by a flag-staff. Now demolished. March Phillips was killed in Delhi in the Indian Mutiny of 1857.
13] 1864—65: near Shepshed, Leics. — Internal alterations at Garendon Hall (for Ambrose Lisle March Phillipps de Lisle): included an additional floor within a mansard roof (as prefigured at Childwall (Fig.73)), remodelling of the Front Hall, the conversion of part of the interior into a 100 ft long, 2-storey Picture Gallery, and a new wing to the rear of the property accommodating a dining room with a domestic chapel above. The house was demolished in 1964.
14] 1866: Childwall, Liverpool, Merseyside — Extension/alterations to AWN Pugin's Oswaldcroft House (for Henry Sharples) of 1844—47: now St Joseph's Care Home, run by Nugent Care.
15] 1867: Clehonger, Herefords. — Extensive re-modelling at Belmont House (for F Wegg-Prosser, MP, FRAS): includes the provision of a domestic chapel.
16] 1868: with GC Ashlin: Dublin, Ireland — Lays out part of Mountjoy Estate: a site for building of about nine acres.
17] 1868: Durham, DH7 9RH, Co. Durham — Extension and re-flooring of the refectory, Ushaw College: the new floor is laid with white Sicilian and black Galway marble.
18] 1870(21 Mar)—1871(26 Jul): Ramsgate, Kent — Extensive enlargement of St Augustine's Abbey School (Benedictines): the core of which was formerly known as St Gregory's; became St. Augustine's Abbey School in 1867. The extension (which included a 3rd storey) was towards the rear of the original 2-storey house; the entire building was demolished in 1973.
19] c.1870—72: Ramsgate, Kent — Second stage of additions & alterations at The Grange: most likely includes also the 'studio' addition (with independent external access) to the rear of St Edward's (the former presbytery).
20] 1873—74/75: Selby, N. Yorks. — Work at Carlton Towers (for Henry Stapleton — 9th Lord Beaumont): EW Pugin re-faced the existing (18th century) house with cement to resemble stone, and added three towers, turrets, a flight of steps leading to a front entrance porch, gargoyles, battlements and innumerable coats of arms — see also unrealised work here, however; interiors by JF Bentley, dating from 1875.
i] 1854: Chirk, Clwyd, N. Wales — Further Work at Chirk Castle: includes the porch in the N. wing & completion of two rooms commenced by AWN Pugin, and work on the roof of the chapel.
ii] 1856: Charley, Leics. — Abbey Lodge: for Mount St Bernard Abbey.
iii] 1869: Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, Ireland — Remodelling of Enniscorthy Castle (for Isaac Newton Wallop — 5th Earl of Portsmouth): it is possible that Ashlin alone was involved in the execution of this work (one of their few domestic projects), although involvement of EW Pugin prior to the dissolution of his partnership with Ashlin at the end of 1868 cannot be ruled out.
iv] nd: Oscott, W. Midlands — Fireplace overmantle in the Professors' Dining Room at St Mary's College.
v] nd: Chirk, Clwyd, N.Wales — Additional wing to the Girls' School: possibly done whilst EW Pugin was working at Chirk Castle during 1854. The school (originally part of the Chirk Castle Estate) was converted for use as a school by AWN Pugin, and opened in 1847.
b) UNREALISED WORK (4)
1] 1854/1856—68: Bakewell, Derbys. — Burton Closes (for W. Allcard): additions to existing house (originally by Paxton, but altered & decorated by AWN Pugin, 1846—48). Liverpool architect TD Barry (see Appendix I under Murray) was also involved. House was partly demolished in 1888 and 1949, and is now a residential home.
2] 1861—62: Oscott, W. Midlands — Academic Exhibition (Northcote) Hall at St Mary's College: drawing exhibited at Royal Academy in May 1861, but plans date from 1860. Building began in 1861 on the site of the former N. cloister, but ceased at 1st floor level in 1862; the project was completed in 1880 by PP Pugin (to his own design). Rev J Spencer Northcote was Rector of the College, 1860—77.
3] 1863: near Shepshed, Leics. — Extensive work at Garandon Hall (for Ambrose Lisle March Phillipps de Lisle): included a Gothic façade (Fig.75a) to the S. front (replacing the classical portico shown in Fig.74a), new State Entrance on the W. side leading into a Great Hall (as a new W. wing) and interconnecting with an unrealised chapel lying to the N. of the projected Great Hall.
4] 1873—5: Work at Carlton Towers (for Henry Stapleton — 9th Lord Beaumont): the projected massive Keep (containing the Grand Staircase), Baronial Hall & Chapel were never built, owing to lack of funds (and possibly to disagreements between EW Pugin and Lord Beaumont) — see also work accomplished at Carlton Towers.
c) COMMISSIONS/WORKS NOTIFIED IN CONTEMPORARY ARCHITECTURAL JOURNALS AND ELSEWHERE, WHICH WERE EITHER ERRONEOUSLY ATTRIBUTED, OR FOR WHICH NO EVIDENCE OF EXECUTION HAS YET BEEN FOUND (2)
1] 1865: Dublin, Ireland — O'Connell Memorial: built to the design of John Henry Foley.
2] nd: Nice (France) — Monument: in memory of a Mrs Lamb; no record yet been found.
|LINKS & LISTS|